HP LaserJet 5Si and 5SiMx Printers
HP LaserJet 5Si and 5SiMx printers are designed for using in shared
printing environments. The HP LaserJet 5SiMx printer is equivalent to
the HP LaserJet 5Si printer, but also includes PostScript Level 2,
8 Mb of additional memory, and the HP JetDirect network interface
HP LaserJet 5Si and 5SiMx printers have features similar to those of
HP LaserJet 4Si and 4SiMx printers, with improved performance and
extra paper handling features. Some of the feature differences are
• The printers include the same set of internal fonts, but there
are no font cartridge slots on the printers. Both printers
support font/macro SIMMs and downloaded soft fonts and
• The default symbol set is PC-8 instead of Roman-8.
• Additional paper and envelope sizes are supported, including
ledger (11" x 17"). Executive size paper is only supported by
the MP tray.
• There is no job offset mechanism in the printers.
• HP LaserJet 5Si and 5SiMx printers do not request the
envelope size every time the power is cycled. It is assumed
that the size does not usually change between power down
and power up.
• Base HP LaserJet 5Si and 5SiMx printers have one 100-sheet
multi-purpose tray (Tray 1), and two 500-sheet universal-input
trays. Optional paper handling devices include a duplex unit, a
power envelope feeder, a 2000-sheet input tray and a multi-bin
• HP LaserJet 4Si and 4SiMx printers used “tray locking” to
prevent automatic selection of a paper tray. HP LaserJet 5Si
and 5SiMx printers accomplish “tray locking” using the
Alphanumeric ID command to select the paper tray by media
Table 2-15 lists the PCL feature additions for HP LaserJet 5Si and
Printer-Specific Differences 2-75
Table 2-11. PCL Feature Additions for HP LaserJet 5Si/5SiMx Printers
Descriptions of the Paper (Media) Source, Output Bin, and
Alphanumeric ID commands are provided below.